They say The Fashion 2.0 Awards Show is attended by the fashion industry’s social media stars, and they’re absolutely right! Last night we had the opportunity to sit next to the social media and digital elite of the fashion industry, and it was an event of true celebration, admiration, recognition, and laughs…lots and lots of laughs.
Here’s how it happened:
The Fashion 2.0 Awards is now in its fourth year. The way it works is: nominees are revealed online some time before the actual awards show evening and the public is allowed to see the list, look up their respective social media, digital campaigns (if they so choose), and vote for their favorites. The votes are counted, and the winners are announced live at the ceremony which takes place once a year.
Hosted by the hilarious and engrossing Robert Verdi, the night moved along with ease and levity as presenters enacted short skits in accordance with their respective categories, and then announced the winners (see below). As winners accepted their well-deserved awards, we kept hearing that their social media and digital initiatives were labors of love. It takes hard work and money to build a strong online presence and garner a following. The ladies who seemingly fashioned everyone for the evening, Jennifer Hyman and Jenny Fleiss, said they were called crazy when they first launched Rent the Runway, but then acknowledged that being a little crazy may just be the key to success.
The keynote speaker was, of course, Simon Doonan, Creative Ambassador-at-Large at Barney’s. (Our night was made.) After all according to Verdi, Doonan is to fashion “what Queen Elizabeth is to the UK.” Simon boiled down the digital endeavors of the fashion industry into a compilation of all the things that are thankful for the growth we’ve seen in social media. These were our favorites:
- Dog Crap: Yes, dog crap is thankful for social media because people are paying less attention to where they’re walking and have a greater opportunity to step in it. Then, he says, they’ll go to Barney’s and buy a new pair of shoes.
- Friendship: Because keeping your friends at a distance and communicating from afar means something these days.
- The Great Intellectuals of Our Day: Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, and The Biebs. (#beliebers)
We’ve linked each of the winners’ campaigns for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.
- Best Twitter: @dkny
- Best Facebook: Marc Jacobs Intl.
- Best Pinterest: Anthropologie
- Best Blog by a Fashion Brand: Saks POV
- Best Website: Saks Fifth Avenue
- Best Mobile App: Gilt on the Go
- Best Online Video: DVF [through Glass]
- Best Fashion Startup: Of a Kind
- Top Innovator: Marc Jacobs
Leticia Domenech was a Writing and Copyediting Intern at TWF. Third Wave Fashion has been your fashion tech think tank since 2011. We publish the first ever printed fashion tech magazine, Third Wave. Follow us on Twitter or subscribe to our newsletter to stay on top of the latest in fashion tech + wearables.
Image via Style Coalition.